Thursday, February 19, 2009

Old olives on Dugi otok

We have the snow here again..I'm never too much creative in the winter..I'm waiting for the sun and dreaming about the long warm summer days..

Here are few photos I took last summer in the fields of Dugi otok (Long island on the Adriatic sea,Croatia)..hundreds years old olive trees grow there through centuries..hundreds of people have been gathering their fruits..thousands of crickets have been settled in their tops..




The Olive Tree is an evergreen tree or shrub native to the Mediterranean, Asia and parts of Africa. It is short and squat, and rarely exceeds 8–15 meters in height. The silvery green leaves are oblong in shape, measuring 4–10 cm long and 1–3 cm wide. The trunk is typically gnarled and twisted. The small white flowers are borne generally on the last year's wood, in racemes springing from the axils of the leaves. The fruit is a small drupe 1–2.5 cm long, thinner-fleshed and smaller in wild plants than in orchard cultivars. Olives are harvested at the green stage or left to ripen to a rich purple colour (black olive).

7 comments:

Delphine said...

Trees in winter can be so beautiful, they are so dramatic and make their statement! In summer they soften and sigh....Wher would we be without the gifts of nature?

delphine said...

Its me again, I just wanted to thank you for visiting one of my blogs. Forgot to mention that I love your musical addition too!

hele said...

I love trees and olives are one of my favourite trees. they seem so ancient and yet so youthful at the same time

Cre8Tiva said...

i love trees in winter, but i need sun to stay in spirit...blessings and hugs

Gwen Buchanan said...

These old trees are like landmarks being there so long..I love the texture on their trunks. We have no Olive trees here.. too cold...

I really love the blue and sand painting on your sidebar Dada.. it is beautiful..


Do you ever harvest any of these Olives.. and if you did could you use them right away or do you have to fix them some special way?

Gwen Buchanan said...

opps I forgot!!
Have a fine weekend!!!

flyinamber said...

the blue and sand painting on my sidebar is actually my vision of one beautiful bay,Saharun,on Dugi otok,the same island where I photographed these old olives..sand on this painting that is mixed with acrylic is the sand fom Saharun bay..

I don't harvest olives because it is not possible to use their fruits
without preparation on special way..you can get the oil or you can fix them in a bottles and eat as a salat but the olives are naturaly pretty bitter and hard and you must as first get away the bitterness from them..so I buy the prepared ones..