Friday, April 25, 2008

My great-grandmother's furniture

As a matter of fact,it was a piece of furniture from the mother of my grandmother but I can not find this in the dictionary:"the mother of my grandmother".Can you help me?
However,it is very old and when I moved into my new flat I delivered it from the darkness of my mother's cellar and gave it a honoured place in my new day-room.I love its shabby look and I only cleaned it with a furniture milk based on beeswax.

Editing on April,26:

Thank to Maralena,AKA mcdc3s,I'm correcting today my yesterdays mistakes :)

Well,this is a piece of furniture from my great-grandmother.In yesterdays version of this post I named it "a commode" because we use this word for that kind of furniture here but Maralena said in her comment the real meaning of this word in English and it is obviously,it isn't a commode :) This is a kind of the wardrobe that usually stand in the dayroom,the bedroom or in the kitchen for keeping bedsheets,laundry or dishes.Maybe is a better name "a cabinet"?Or not?However,I like it very much.I also got one very old handmade wardrobe from one frend of mine but I have to clean it,so you will see this next week.

5 comments:

mcdc3s said...

Great-grandmother.

My mother.
My her mother is my grandmother.
My grandmothers mother would be my great-grandmother.
My great-grandmothers mother would be my great-great grandmother.

How different the words for things. Here... a commode would be a toilet for elimination. Yours looks to be the casing around a basin for washing.

It is so good to see you back again!

rivergardenstudio said...

What a beautiful and unusual commode! I also like the painting above it, did you do it? Roxanne

rivergardenstudio said...

I just found your painting on the side bar, it is even more beautiful up close!

Gwen Buchanan said...

This is a beauty. What a treasure to use in your daily life... a piece from your past. yes I would call it a cabinet.

You're right Roxanne .. I love that painting too!!!

mcdc3s said...

hehe... Hope your doing well and settling in Amber.