Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Old doors in Varaždin

I was very busy last two weeks but I visited my nearest city Varaždin during this time very often.
Here are a few photos of old doors in Varaždin.

The first written reference to Varaždin was in 12th century when King Bela III mentioned the nearby thermal springs Varaždinske Toplice (a little city where I live) in a legal document.Varaždin was declared a free royal borough in 1209 and during centuries it became a economic and culture centre of northern Croatia with a fortress,the town hall and many churches,monasteries and palaices.Most of those buildings were built or altered in the baroque and rococo style.The city has about 55000 citizens today and represents the best preserved historycal urban complex in continental Croatia with many museums,galeries and cultural happenings as a worldwide known baroque-music festival "Baroque Evenings".

You can read more on Wikipedia or on the Google,just type "Varaždin".You can see also photos of Varaždin's beautiful buildings there. I visit Varaždin few times every week because of shooping or drinking coffee with my friends.Those old doors are just little pieces of beauty of this town.

7 comments:

Monique said...

Those doors are absolutely amazing. I'm so glad that I was able to see them.

Heather said...

Can't wait to read all about it!

mcdc3s said...

I absolutely love the doors!
Photos of these pieces (perhaps paintings) - could comprise an entire book.

I bet windows would be interesting too.

I am jealous of your surroundings!!!

susanna said...

Dada, these doors are beautiful! I can only imagine the stories they could tell...who walked through them, the secrets they kept locked...

Sherry said...

You've been keeping busy Dada and I'm happy to see you back here!! Varazdin looks like a lovely place and I hope you will write more about it -- those doors are incredible!!

Heather said...

You live surrounded by interesting history! Croatia is definitely on my list of places to visit someday!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi, I truely love old doors. Such beauty,
When we built our house we collected doors for several years, to use in it. actually most everything in it was recycled.
But old doors have a very special feeling to me. Love them, Thank you for sharing, Gwen in New Brunswick Canada